There is no fixed cost for a Wedding Celebrant. Celebrants are self-employed and set their own fees. However, the fee for a celebrant to work with you creating your ceremony and then leading it on the day generally ranges from £500 – £800.
Costs are usually the same regardless of when or where a ceremony takes place. A Ceremony can take place at any time, on any day and in any venue which doesn’t have to be licenced. It can even be in your own garden, on a beach or a location that has special meaning for you.
Most Celebrants require an initial payment to secure your date and to pay for their time as they begin to work on your ceremony. This is usually followed by one or more further payments to reflect the work being carried out at each stage of the process. The balance payment is usually required before the final ceremony script is shared with you which will be several weeks before your wedding leaving time for any amendments.
Some celebrants also offer a shorter ceremony often consisting of a symbolic ritual to follow a full Registry Office or church service – prices will vary depending on the content.
Celebrants may charge additional travel expenses, usually at 45p per mile if the ceremony takes place more than a certain number of miles away from where they are based. They will explain this when you contact them and may have details on their website.
If your celebrant needs to stay overnight before your ceremony there will usually be an additional charge to cover the cost of accommodation and will be discussed fully with you.
What is included in the price?
A Celebrant will create a personalised ceremony for each couple they work with, no two are the same. They don’t use a set formula or wording, every ceremony is written based on your ideas and wishes.
Celebrants work in slightly different ways but these are the sort of things they will do:
- Your celebrant will talk to you about what you’d like your ceremony to be like. Whether you’d like a traditional, spiritual, culturally significant or alternative style. Whether you’d like a themed wedding or a symbolic ritual or to include religious elements.
- You will be able to choose every element of your ceremony such as the wording for your vows, and exchanging rings, readings, poetry, prayers or a blessing, music or symbolic rituals.
- Your celebrant will be able provide guidance and suggestions to help you decide what you’d like your ceremony to be like, but it will always be your choice.
- There is no time limit on the length of your ceremony, it will depend on what you wish to include. Your celebrant will discuss this with you.
Personalising your ceremony
- Your celebrant will spend time getting to know you before your wedding so that you’re comfortable to talk to them about yourselves and your relationship. This means your celebrant will be able to reflect your personalities and incorporate special anecdotes into a ceremony which will be created just for you.
- Once your celebrant gets to know you and has collected the information you’re happy to share they will write a bespoke ceremony that isn’t a standard formula but one which focuses on you.
- Your celebrant will talk with you about the wording of your ceremony including personalised vows to make sure your ceremony is unique and meaningful to you.
Making sure all goes well
- Whenever possible your celebrant will attend the venue with you to work out where everyone will be on the day and to liaise with venue manager about any practical elements of the ceremony.
- Your celebrant will talk to any of your family and friends who has a specific role in your ceremony reading a poem or prayer or taking part in a symbolic ritual to make sure everything goes smoothly.
- Throughout the planning process your celebrant will be available to talk to and answer your questions, by email and phone.
On the day
- You will know your celebrant well by the time your special day arrives and they will know exactly the right tone for your ceremony. It’s great to have a familiar face guiding you through your ceremony.
- On the day your celebrant will liaise with other professionals such as the venue manager or wedding co-ordinator, your photographer and videographer in relation to your ceremony to make sure everything is as you wish it to be.
- Your celebrant will lead your personalised ceremony on the day. Most celebrants only conduct one ceremony a day.
- Some celebrants provide you with a commemorative copy of your ceremony after the ceremony.
Wedding or Civil Partnership £500
You will need to arrange to have a Registration Only service to legally register your marriage in the presence of 2 witnesses. This is a formality and will Cost £57 including a Marriage Certificate (Cost at 1st April 2021).
If you choose a symbolic ritual to enhance your ceremony the items needed for the ritual can be purchased directly by you. Some celebrants will provide the items at cost and some wil loan equirment if appropriate.
If you’re looking for a truly personalised ceremony that doesn’t follow a set formula and can take place wherever and whenever you wish then choose a celebrant led ceremony.
Get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org or Check out my weddings page for more information
Anne-Marie Ledson May 2021